Jun 9, 2023

It came from the Toy Chest: Do you want some Wheatcakes Otto?

 


Technology is the light that can cut through the darkness. When humanity conforms to a single truth, a truth based in technical progress and scientific method, we will be unstoppable. I, Doctor Otto Octavius vow as a scientist and business man that my duties to humankind will be fulfilled. Thank you. Thank you.

Sorry, sorry I just got out of it carried away with referencing the 2000 video game when I should be referencing it the 90s animated series. Then again this set is not exactly 100% accurate the Animated Series. I kind of feel like there is another Spider-Man 2, the 2004 movie with Alfred Molina playing Doc Ock. Or maybe it's the really old comics where Dr Octopus tries to marry Aunt May. Yes I'm talking about the 90s Spider-Man animated series inspired Doc Ock and Aunt May 2 pack.
Sadly both the voice actors for Dr Octopus and Aunt May passed away a while back. The late Ephrem Zimbalist Jr played Dr Octopus and the late Linda Gary played Aunt May. Yes that Linda Gary. Ephrem Zimbalist Jr was also the voice of Alfred in BTAS, but if I wanna take it into a motu references, I have two ways:
I couls use Kevin Conroy as my Kevin Bacpn and reach MOTU via Revelation or the CGI Series...PR I could reference that he appeared in an episode of Remington Steele, a show starring his daughter Stephanie and some unknown dide called Pierce Brosnan. The show's theme song is coincidentally familiar. Now that we got the He-Man references let's talk this two-pack.

Dr. Otto Octavius, scientist. Searching for a way to handle deadly radioactive materials. He created for mechanical tentacles that were fused to his spine after one of his experiments exploded. Driven mad at he turned it to a life of crime and often faces The Amazing Spider-Man!! Excelsior! And I hope you read it in his voice.

Aunt May, widower, homemaker, has a Fragile Heart That Couldn't bear the truth about Peter Parker, her nephew, being The Amazing Spider-Man!! 'Nuff said! I did that voice to text thing and used a bad Stan Lee impression to have the text written from dictation.

Let's get cracking!

First I'll start with Aunt May:
Articulation 
The Hasenfeld Brothers dropped the ball here. From the waist up, Aunt May has a decent range of articulation. Well as much as you need for an old lady that doesn't fight crime. From the waist down she's a massive failure. She cannot sit down, which is something that old ladies do. OB obviously she's unable to do the the splits, kicks, or any action type poses. This is due today kind of soft plastic that she has for a skirt that is too rigid for any posing. This is one of those few cases where soft goods would have been beneficial.
3.0
Aunt May: Peter, I miss Ben.
Peter: Mee too, Aunt May.
Aunt May: Ben, I have been mourning your passing for years. I miss you and I love you, but I have to move on. I hope you don't mind, but I am dating Professor Otto Octavius.
Peter: Hwat!?


Paint and sculpt 
The paint work on the figure is really well done I don't have any issues with it. Although one minor nitpick is that her right eye seems darker than her left eye I'm not sure if it's the lighting or if it's a paint application mistake on mine but it's not thaat noticeable.
What Toon May Looks like.


The sculpting on the figure is really good, but I do have one tiny nitpick. Her face is not cartoon accurate. Her face looks like the comic book version of Aunt May but with the cartoon hairstyle. I'm guessing that Hasbro is planning to release a comic book based Aunt May later on.
What she's supposed to look like.



Fun fact: Aunt May wears black panties.
Aunt May upskirt shot... Why? Because the people needed to know about Aunt may's panties...


3.0

Accessories 
Pair of fists. Not even a purse or anything. 
1.0

Overall
Aunt May gets a disappointing 2.33 as her final score. As much as I'm not a huge fan of soft goods in action figures a soft goods skirt would have been better for her. She could have gotten something additional in accessories since she has pretty much nothing.

Hopefully Doctor Octopus will fare a bit better. And I might be a bit more critical, since I am a huge fan of Doctor Octopus. So let's take on Doc Ock.
Ock: I got you now, insect...
Spidey: I'm an arachnid, you hentai freak!
Ock: Ah, a Mann der Kultur! Shame that you will die now!


Articulation
Doc Ock might have called Jenny, but he still lacks an ab crunch. His joints work rather well and hit most possible poses that don't  require the good Doctor to put his arms up... shoulderpads restrict the articulation.
3.5
What Toon Ock Looks like


Paint and sculpt
The paint work is very limited on the figure since most of the figure is smaller than the appropriate colors and only the orange accents on his armor are painted. The sculpting is really decent. It captures the arrogance of Dr Octopus perfectly. There are some detail lines in his armor that accentuate the cartoon though. I honestly can't tell if his glasses are part of his face called or if it's an added piece it kind of looks like it's transparent but at the same time it doesn't, which is confounding me.
What he's supposed to look like.


I believe this is one of the best face sculpts I've seen in a while from Hasbro.
5.0

Accessories 
His tentacles don't count, since Doc Ock without tentacles is just Doc. He has a pair of fists. My only nitpick is that he should have symmetrical hands. Right now he has one c-grip hand, ine dramatic pose hand, and 2 fists. He needs an extra pair of hands that mirror the asymmetrical hands he already has.
1.0
Sadly the tentacles fall off too easily.
Lools like comic book Ock might end up with the ToyBiz Ock tentacles afterall.


Overall
Doc Ock gets a 3.17 as his final score. It's disappointing that they have figured how to do the shoulder pads on figures like Wolverine and not have him get his articulation blocked but they screw it up big time with Dr Octopus. Also the lack of symmetrical hands is something that horribly bugs me. Especially since he comes with so little accessories.
Ock: Ah, my dear May, I would like you to meet der fünfte Tentakel...
Aunt May: Oh otto, that's so kinky!!
Peter: DO NOT WANT!!
Ock: Parker!? You can call me Onkel...
Peter VO: Onk Ock... *snickers* aside the disturbing image of Aunt May doing the horizontal Mambo with Doc Ock knowong that his new name sounds like on cock is kinda funny. Oh no... nononononono!!


Now for the 2 pack's final score, which comes from the average score between the 2 pack components:
2.75 and it's disappointing. Also, the tentacles don't fit comic Ock that well... Oh I kinda wish we had alternate tentacle tips in order to be able to have Ock standing on his tentacles. It brings me to have to rate a set with Dr Octopus so low, because I love this character too much and not even tweaking the Curve could save this two pack. I mean it's nice in theory but an execution it's not that good.

No comments:

Post a Comment