Jun 21, 2023

It Came from the Toy Chest: Fei Long!? He's an asshole!


 According to the movie director whose movie Fei Long was supposed to be filming, but the actor skipped it to fight Ryu in an illegal street fight... or so it was before it got censored to shit... now He's a troublemaker!

I got Jada Toys Fei Long and Ryu. Of course I had to get Ryu. I somehow have to make upfor the fact that SOTA's Ryu alway eluded me. Before I start with the reviews, I want to point out that the packaging is cute, but not MOC Collection friendly. The irregular shape will be prone for damage via shipping.


Articulation 
Noteworthy things to mention: the torso articulation is VERY STIFF. Apparently they need to be heated up to get things going. Other than that, they have a really good range of articulation. I was able to pull off most poses with both figures. Kinda wish they had hinged toes though.
4.5


Paint and sculpt
They look the part for the most part. There are a few angles where things look a bit off... but to be fair these are 3D representations of 2D art... which can be troubleseome to adapt at times. The only gripe I have is that Ryu's pants are dirtier looking than his gi.
4.5
Fun fact: the Hadoken has Hands sculpted inside.
I believe this is the first Hadoken to have that.


Accessories 
Here is where the figures fall short... to be fair, these figures are $25, while Imports are over $50.
Fei Long:
Extra head
Fists
Flame effect for his Shienkyaku
Thanks to Batman 66 for giving me an idea how to achieve this pic.


Personally I feel he needed 2 more things: a woosh effect for the Rekkaken or the O face for the winpose where he looks like he's humping the air. Or a set of c-grip hands and a nunchaku. While a Clear stand would be nice, third party stands exist.

Ryu:
Extra head
Hadoken hands
Hadoken
Clear stand for the hadoken

All he needed was a third head for his victory pose. Not going to ask for interchangeable arms for the cross armed pose because those tend to be a bitch to put in.

So here's the scores for each:
Fei Long: 4.0
Ryu: 4.5
Technically speaking Ryu won, but both figures are great.


Overall
The score difference between Fei Long and Ryu is not that big, with the Flying Dragon of Hong Kong getting a 4.33 While the Japanese Dragon gets a 4.5 as his final score. Then again, it might be my pro-Ryu bias talking... no, I am not Kasugano-chan wearing a Nefty-kun costume. It's obvious that the clear winner here is Jada Toys. New to the 1:12 action figure game and already outdoing some of the veterans (Bandai America, Playmates Toys, and even State Of The Art Toys... yeah, I went there...)

No comments:

Post a Comment