Jan 13, 2022

It came from the Toy Chest: He "does Machines"


 Donatello, the 4th Turtle to be released by Super7... Raphael, Leonardo, and Michelangelo will finally reunite with their missing Brother, the Nerd. As stated, Donatello is the nerd Turtle. A scientific and engineering wunderkind, Donnie is the one in charge of repurposing trash and turning it into vehicles and other types of Weaponry for Splinter's war against The Foot and the Evil Overlord of Dimension X, Krang.

Articulation 
Since he's on the Turtle body, just like his brothers, we know what to expect. Knees can be a bit terrifying. Everything else, you've seen on the last 3 turtles.
4.5
Leo: April's in trouble!!
Don: I got that message as well!
Raph: I can't get to Casey...
Mike: Here's where I'd say something about calling Mondo Gecko, but I HAVE NO COMMUNICATOR!!


Paint and sculpt 
As stated before, being on the Turtle body means only the heads and belt are different from the others. The vintage head is a decent representation of the original toy. The modern head has a stoic look that is fitting for the analytical Donatello. The colors are mostly good. I will have to add silver accents like I did to Michelangelo. There is no visible slop on the figure. My only nitpick is that he's too brown. The vintage toy was still brown, but it was a greenish brown. This Donnie is just brown. 

Some people have put both straps on one shoulder, trying to mimic the vintage cardback. Sadly, both straps are sculpted as one and I wouldn't recommend cutting them unless you're an experienced customizer.
The process that othera are using
involves cutting one of 
the straps and supergluing
it to the other strap.
I could theoretically do this, but
at $45... sorry $55 a figure, it's a
Scary thing...
Says the guy that has repainted
all 4 turtles Bebop, Shredder,
Casey Jones, and Rocksteady's
Weaponry.


5.0
Mikey: FINALLY! SOMETHING I ALSO HAVE!! I was beginning to feel left out...
Don: These shuriken are a bit weird, but it's what I could whip out in a sewer...
Raph: Donnie, you need to take better care of this Katara...
Leo: I understand you don't like blades, but Raph's right. You take care of your wrenches, pliers and other tools get ruined.. it's the same with your bladed weapons...


Accessories 
Donatello has:
Extra head
Communicator (open and closed)
Push knife
Katar
Kama
2 bo staves
6 extra hands
Weapon rack
2 shuriken
Pizza slice
5.0
Two things:
Mikey has no pizza slice. The box has an unremovable slice of pizza.
The Pizza Box is too small for the slices...
One more thing: there are two different slices and NONE match with each other. 


Overall 
Donatello gets a 4.83 as his final score. Despite his high score, I feel like he's missing something... I can't quite put my finger on it... but at last, all 4 Turtles!! Yay!
Mandatory NES Box Art reference.

After seeing that Custom Donatello, it would be nice to see further down the line a variant Donatello using the straps that way. 

But circling back to having all four turtles; completing them is pretty cool. Part of me wishes we could get 2003, Mirage, and 2012 versions of them in order to have a Multiversal display with the Turtles.

No comments:

Post a Comment