Oct 10, 2022

My desire for Marvel Legends is waning

 Between releasing too much product at the same time, rising prices, greedy Haslab items, dumbass plastic free packaging, it feels like I'm getting burned out by Marvel Legends. While Quality hasn't been 06-09 bad some figures feel like Hasbro is cutting corners, while others feel incredibly awesome. 

Let's use the MOJOWORLD 3pack: Dazzler got a new head to make her different, but she had a mass retail release... so will Longshot and a single boxed MOJO is a Target exclusive. The set wasn't offered that long ago!! Hell, it's still up for preorder at Hasbro Pulse... Like what the shit, man!? The set isn't even out and Hasbro is already reselling the components individually... this is Hasbro competing against themselves. I'm afraid of Hasbro releasing a single carded Riot and Agony before the Amazon 3 pack hits.

Before anyone says "But Nefty, you often campaigned for that..." let's stop right there.

I said that re-releasing Older BAFs and hard to find figures a bit later down the line is a good thing. I never said to have the rereleases jump ahead of the first release! What's the point of preordering a figure that will be released nearly a year later, just to find the figure at retail BEFORE THE PREORDER YOU ALREADY PAID FOR!?

I get that Mephisto or Madeline Pryor aren't exactly suited for retail release, but kidnapping them behind the awful overpriced Ghost Driver set is ludicrous... but even worse is the censorship of MP's outfit. She's a Hasbro Pulse exclusive not available for Little Timmy... I'm pretty sure that the folks that would buy her are 40+ year old folks. The idea of Pulse exclusives should be for items that have no chance in hell of making it on retail... Like say, Punisher with guns, Goblin Queen, Emma Frost, or Malice with their risqué outfits, or folks like Mephisto, whose whole demon thing would put the one million but in reality it's just one Mom bitching online to bitch online... or having less toyetic characters like Aunt May, Jarvis, Willie Lumpkin, Senator Kelly, Rick Jones, just to name a few.

But even the recent figures I've gotten have been good, but at times they feel like they're catching up to ToyBiz figures from nearly 20 years ago. Or it's Hasbro making us triple or quadruple dip on a figure yet again, because of boxset or BAF bullshit. Can we get the Pizza spidey buck retired? 

Hell, I've got a bunch of Marvel Legends on the "To Review Pile" IIRC they go as far as the Ultimate Green Goblin BAF and I still haven't reviewed them. I think I have figures from the Dormammu, Strong Guy, Caliban, Abomination BAFs that I haven't reviewed yet... not to mention the A-Force pack that I got from Toys R Us before they shut down. 

I don't know if it's a ME thing, or if it's just Marvel Legends, but I just don't feel the same excitement as I did before. I have a few MLs coming up throught this and next year... hopefully they can bring the excitement back... like Black Cat did 8 years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment