Oct 29, 2023

So, let's talk Castlevania again...

 I'm mad that Haunted Castle, the Arcade version of the Original Castlevania is NOT on any of the Castlevania collections. I mean that's as old school Castlevania as you can go. I kinda understand why Richter gets his own saga separate from everything, but come on!!

I don't mind missing out on some of the 3D games... I k ow the PS2 games were considered good, but I'm more of a 2D Castlevania fan... Eventually I may bite for Lords of Shadow because Hideo and his 2 inches of doom... but the 2D games being left out, now that bothers me. I've heard Castlevania Legends for the GameBoy is bad, but I don't know since I can't legally play it. Even chronicles, which is an inferior Castlevania remake, deserved to be in any of the anthologies. Hell the Wii Remake of the GameBoy Castlevania the Adventure could have been a great incentive on a later game of the anthology.  Hell, even the inferior Saturn version with playable Maria and 2 extra areas would've been welcome somewhere!!

But not everything is bitching and moaning. Castlevania... the Original NES Classic: the only Castlevania game that I have beaten before Adulthood. To be fair it's the only game I've truly played because, I played the original Game Boy game and man that game sucked ass. I'll have to play it now as an adult and bitch about it but not now. Yes very limited. To be fair, the game is 36 years old. You can't expect Symphony of the Night on a game that's 10-ish years earlier and on way underpowered Hardware. Despite the limitations you get a great game experience and it's not too awful on the Nintendo difficulty scale. I mean I actually beat the thing on an NES. Now I have a save state and Prince of Persia Sands of time inspired rewind feature.  The best part is that while Castlevania 1 is rather short and mildly frustrating, I can play it in bite sized pieces thanks to the save state.

I know that purists would frown up on my usage of save States and playing in bite-sized portions. But if it allows me to play with less stress, I welcome it.


The nostalgia is strong with this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment