Sep 18, 2020

It came from the Toy Chest: April came twice this year...

April has come again!

Y
es, I somehow managed to get this set at cost plus shipping. Since this is a NECA set I must comment on these figures being based on the cartoon. As I mentioned , the NECA TMNT are based on the cartoon who also has some influence on the vintage toy line... so there will be some canon similarities between both of them. Unlike the Mirage Comics this April is reporter, the foot Ninja is a robot instead of a normal ninja due to censorship laws in the 80s for children's cartoon of course, because the comic book was very dark and gritty.

Since it's a two pack and the characters are very different I'm going to tackle them individually.

April 
let's tackle the Ravishing Reporter first:
Articulation 
April has articulation similar to Hasbro Marvel Legends, with the exception of the double jointed elbows. Elbows and knees are scary hard to move... Her legs are supposed to be MOTUC-LIKE but I can't get her to make the rhigh cut rotation... and since she's NECA, I ain't gonna try too hard either.
4.0

Paint and sculpt 
I won't mention the oversized head because that is a low-hanging fruit. mine had a small issue an accessory that was supposed to be glued near her buttocks is not there.
I contacted customer service to see if I can get a replacement piece. Honestly though I don't care very much for whatever that thing that's supposed to be there is, but if I can't get the replacement piece, so be it. personally I would rather have whatever it is for the sake of having a complete April. I should point out that the feet are molded in flesh colored plastic painted white. Sadly mine got scratched when removing her from the package and that's how I know that her feet are molded in flesh plastic.
The butt hole is not on her butthole.

Aside the oversized Noggin she doesn't look that bad. He might be on the smaller side but since I only have sh-figuarts figuarts Turtles I cannot gauge accurately.
Despite the body looking a smidge smaller her breasts are decently represented. I mean, they're not Sugoi Dekai, but they're not getting the Hasbro boob shrinkage... Then again, Michelangelo calls April's boobs: Life Cereal...
Remember, the Figuarts TMNT are a smidge larger than NECA'S.
3.5
Even Cap understood that reference.

Accessories
Communicator
Camera
Microphone
2 hands
Tape recorder with microphone
Maltese marmot
Pizza alien
I don't know what else I could add aside different hands.
5.0

Overall
April gets a 4.17 as her final score. The oversized Noggin and articulation issues hurt her a little bit because she could have fared a bit better.

Foot Soldier  (bashed)
Shredder's robotic Army has seen better days.
Articulation
The Foot Soldier has a reasonable range of articulation.
It surpasses the Super7 figure. Sadly it has a few issues:
Mine's left foot pops off randomly. The shoulders are a bitch to move. This applies to the thigh rotation as well.
4.0

Paint and sculpt 
If you have previous toon/konami foot soldiers, you know what to expect aside the new torso. The paint follows the toon style with the weird shading on the back.
Unlike the Casey Jones foot soldier, you CAN cover the battle damage and have a "mint" Foot Soldier.
4.0
5318008!

Accessories 
Toy Foot Soldier rifle
Weird 1950s scifi rifle
Extra hands
Communicator
2 shuriken
5.0

Overall 
Foot Soldier gets a 4.33 as his final score. It's a neaten up foot soldier.

Now let's calculate the score for the 2pack.
4.25 would be the 2pack's final score. The issues with both figures dragged it down a bit.


No comments:

Post a Comment