Sep 17, 2020

It came from the Toy Chest: It's not a Hand Ninja... it's a FOOT SOLDIER!!

I wish we could have a way to order more Foot Soldiers... but at $45 each it's a bit of a hassle.

Foot soldiers are robotic replacement to the foot Ninja in order to appease the sensors in the 1987 cartoon. Since the toys were partially tied in to the cartoon, it makes sense that their robotic status appears here as well. Basically they are cannon fodder like Stormtroopers, Cobra Troopers, Horde Troopers, Putty Patrollers, HYDRA Soldiers, etc. And you usually need more than one.

Articulation 
The Foot has some interesting articulation. I suppose Shredder will be similar to him.
I definitely miss the ab crunch on these guys. There is some sort of ball joint that kind of gives a little movement, but not enough to make up for the lack of ab crunch.
He has a great range of articulation... for a MOTUC compatible line. The head has double articulation on the neck. It was unexpected.
4.5
The most dangerous Kancho...

Paint and sculpt
Like MOTUC before it, this line is modernizing the vintage toy while preserving most of the vintage aesthetic. The Horsemen nailed it here. Putting the figure on the vintage toy pose and holding it in my hand feels like 1989 all over again. There are a couple of subtle details added to certain elements the sculpt to make the figure feel more modern. There's some slight shading on key sections, but they preserve a more vintage aesthetic.
5.0
Nefty: wait, is that Foot Soldier using the
Basics of CQC...
Raph: A Konami reference? Specifically a
Metal Gear Solid reference? Without Leonerdo?
Wait a minute... I was part of various Konami games!!
Hurt me more!!
Nefty: Oh yeah, Raphael was voiced by Rob Paulsen, who voiced Gray Fox on the GameCube version of MGS... Doo doo doo doo dodoo 

Accessories 
The Foot has some interesting accessories:
Rifle
Blaster
2 shuriken
Mace
Flail
8 extra hands
Vintage rack with duplicates of every weapon.
Remember the NECA Bebop and Rocksteady? The blasters they use are based on the Foot Soldier's weapons... I kind of wish we had gotten a battle damaged head and even more hands.
5.0
I know Japan takes Rock Paper Scissors
Seriously, but didn't expect robots to play it...

Overall:
The Foot Soldier gets a 4.83 as his final score. He's a great figure, but my biggest problem with it is the inability to  army build.
Hey! Had I known that
the Jan Ken Pon match was for groping April*
I would've challenged both of you as well!! No fair!!

*=No, people, I'm not condoning the groping of real people.
Fictional characters are that, fictional. Also just because my custom April isn't standing next to a foot soldier doesn't mean that I got access to a NECA April and Foot Soldier pack

No comments:

Post a Comment