Sep 22, 2020

Groot is now Puerto Rican? Wait, what?

Apparently, Space Alien Tree played by Vin Diesel in the MCU is now Puerto Rican...
Am I the only one who's thinking: No. This bullshit has gone too far. I don't mind adding representation through new characters. Retconning existing characters into being something else is what I don't like. I also don't like killing classic characters to bring replacements that win at SocJus bingo, but that's a rant for another time. I wouldn't be mad if a member of Groot's species had been rooted in Puerto Rico over 500 years ago and was the mythical Ceiba tree. The issue I have is that THE Groot, as in the one that hangs with Starlord, Rocket, and the others, is now all of a sudden, Puerto Rican. To me, as a Puerto Rican, it feels forced. I mean it's cool to get better representation than the Distinguished Competition's Break dancing ex-gang member whose powers made him a Human "Massager"...
I'm talking about Cisco Ramon here... But seriously, cut it out! Don't hijack characters.

With all the aliens, mutants, mad scientists, government experiments  in the 616 you could have some kid from the Bronx or Spanish Harlem get powers and having to deal with this new life. Jist try something other than "and now He's Puertorriqueño..."

No comments:

Post a Comment