Sep 14, 2020

Thundercats and me: a rant.

Thundercats... That 80s toy line with the middle child syndrome between He-Man and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I guess there is no better definition to describe it.
Don't get me wrong I love ThunderCats but my preferences lie with He-Man... I also prefer Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles over ThunderCats despite ThunderCats being more in line with what I would want in a toy line, due to it's natural compatibility with He-Man. Somehow Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is more appealing to me as a toy line even if it doesn't mesh as well with He-Man.


I should blame LJN for that. Weird scale issues, toys breaking when used as intended, inability to find Tygra, but seeing oceans of Bengalis laughing at me...

And out of Super 7's core ultimates lines Thundercats seems to be the only one where I am picking and choosing.
I'm not counting the filmation sub-line because from the get-go I wanted certain specific characters and we didn't get them... and my priority was Classics over Filmation redos.

 The teaser pic of the Snowman of Hook Mountain did nothing for me. I already skipped over Captain Saltine American, hell I even skipped Grune the Destroyer.
If they show Lunattaks on Wednesday, I'm not even sure if I'm going to buy them. for some reason there's always something that makes me a bit gun-shy regarding ThunderCats toys. Unlike He-Man where I went mostly all in... The last MOTUC power con items were skipped mostly due to price and Slime Pit He-Man being the comolete opposite of what he should be. I willingly skip Temple of Darkness Sorceress because she has always been ridiculously expensive for an all white variant of Sorceress.  same thing with red Beast Man part of me regrets it but at the same time it's literally normal Beastman but in red. At least, we have the Clawful hands to look different from Kobra Khan. And for $1 I already made it a custom version of him which made me realize that getting a real one would be pointless.

And if I skipped On He-Man skipping on the ThunderCats is a lot much easier.  let's be honest about it Super 7 price point is a huge deterrent in me getting deeply involved with their lines.

It's a bit hard going balls deep with two toy lines where each figure is at least $45. I'm hoarding their cats had too many weird one-off villains and heroes that I honestly don't care about. I know some people would be very excited for Safari Joe, Tuska Warrior, Driller, etc.
To be fair I would like to have 八幡 and Mongor...
Oh look, speech to text knows Japanese. I said Hachiman.

Between Mattel and Super 7 pre-orders I got all the core Thundercats aside from Snarf. I'm a Monkian and Vultureman  from getting the mutants I want. I honestly don't see myself getting hammerhand top spanner and the other Berserkers even though I had a couple as a kid. There are a few characters that I may be interested but not $45 interested.

And I think I figured it out:  I'm more of a fan off the ThunderCats lore than the actual toys. but if Super 7 manages to make a Cat's Lair I may have to sell a kidney... and even with a 2011 reboot of ThunderCats The lore was What attracted me more than the toys... then again bandai America toys aren't that great.

 I think that a Thundercats video game would be much more appealing to me than a toy line... then again I'm 85% done with what I wanted out of a Thundercats line.

The same issues with Tbundercats would apply to silverhawks

No comments:

Post a Comment