Jun 11, 2021

It came from the Toy Chest: Let's get sweaty while we groove!


 Why did I buy this Richard Simmons doll? I mean Clothed Action Figure... said the guy who has Hannah Montana dolls... and Twilight! I didn't forget those. So, Richard Simmons. What can I say? As a kid, I remembered him as the dude that got grannies sweaty... as an adult, it's pretty much the same. I wasn't one to watch his workout routines but what little I saw all I remember is the shorts the perm and the positive energy that he radiates when he got all those grannies all sweaty. If you're picturing sweaty grandmothers, my bad... honestly I would have preferred that this was a real figure and not what it is because it's compatible with nothing... aside the NECA Clothed Figures. Like say The Golden Girls which would have been perfect for this review but I was never able to find them and right now I'm not spending $120 for a joke picture in a toy review.

Articulation 
Mr. Simmons has a decent range of articulation. He has a ball joint at the torso and the arms are double jointed at the elbows and the articulation is similar to old-school Marvel Legends. Sadly the legs are a bit more limited with single knee articulation. They kinda remind me of Masters of the Universe classics. You could get away with this kind of articulation for Bob Ross but not with Richard Simmons. His whole shtick is exercises and if he can be that articulated then it's kind of pointless
4.0
Paint and sculpt
I hate that he has actual clothing made of fabric. While this is more convenient for NECA as they can reuse the body on random characters and thenall they have to do is make the clothes and head. The head sculpt is a stylized version of Richard Simmons. While the sculpt is a bit stylized it goes for a reasonable amount of realism to match the body. Unlike Super 7's Conan you can look at his face and immediately recognize Simmons.
4.5


Accessories 
Extra head.
That's it. For the life of me, I can't figure out anything else to give him. By amount pf accessories alone, he should be a 1.0, but the problem is that it wouldn't be fair.
4.0


Overall:
I don't like clothes figures because they are borderline dolls. I also collect dolls so it's not an issue about those being a key it's just that they break off the compatibility with everything else. Scale aside, it looks weird having Batman with a plastic cape and then Richard Simmons is wearing clothes made out of actual fabric. His final score is 4.17 if he was 7 inches and had sculpted clothing, he would've fared a lot better.

No comments:

Post a Comment