Jun 21, 2021

MOTU Revelation: another rant...

 I wasn't planning on making a MOTU rant, but after having a LONG conversation with my Cousin's* husband, the convo was able to shake me to my core.
*= Same cousin who collected She-Ra back when we were kids and I had to sneak around to play Proper She-Ra with her dolls.

As "the He-Man guy" in the Family he came to me with questions regarding MOTU Revelation and the rumors. So, I tried to the best of my abilities to explain what was going on with the rumors and that they should be taken with a grain of salt. That he should wait until the series shows up on July 23rd and hope for the best. Yes, I did explain my over the top reaction towards Andra's race change. But since he's a casual he was like who? We kept going and near the end of that topic, he made me a question:

What would happen to MOTU if Revelation fails?

That was the question that shook me to my core.
We all know there is a LOT riding on Revelation... But what if it fails? The first thing I thought of was the doom and gloom about it being the final MOTU iteration in my lifetime... but at the same time, MOTU bounced back from the 1987 movie... with New Adventures, despite not being "as popular as the original" was able to last 2 seasons and 4 waves of toys. Then we had a small period of radio silence that 200X ended and after Mattel blunders killed 200X it was 4 years until MOTUC brought He-Man back with a vengeance... and it was MOTUC that brought He-Man back into comics and after Mattel made a certain narcissistic liar* quit, they had a small hiatus until Oranges and now Masterverse and Revelation. 
*=That's the guy who calls himself Toyguru and an avid reader of this blog.

Which brings me back to the whole "Revelation failing" thing. Mattel, despite blundering their way with MOTU as a whole, can easily bounce back... 

If the New He-Man for kids is successful there's no need for Classic He-Man.

Mattel has an Ace in the hole with the CGI He-Man series. While yes, they want Revelation to do good, because our Nostalgia consuming means more money in their pockets, we're dying out. The younger OG fans are close to 40 years old. The Barbarian Sword and Sorcery Elements are, sadly not as popular as they were back then. The key for He-Man's success is connecting to children. After Big Jim died out, Mattel still tried to bring back the brand with Max Steel who literally became Big Jim's son. Not to mention that Mattel was so invested in Max Steel that even a Live Action movie was made... and Max Steel wasn't as popular as 80s He-Man. 

So, Revelation failing is not the real issue. The real issue is if BOTH Revelation AND the CGI series with a steampunk pseudo anime retro future fantasy vibe version fail. 
*IF* Revelation fails it's not the end of the world. Our Nostalgia bucks don't require a present day cartoon, so Mattel can throw us a bone every now and then. I HOPE that Revelation doesn't fail and that the series for kids still works as a decent MOTU despite the genre/stylistic changes. If new CGI He-Man fails, then that will be the beginning of the end for He-Man.

No comments:

Post a Comment