Dec 12, 2020

Advent calendar ICFtTC 12: Beastman and Trap Jaw Oranges

 


What is this? More Oranges!? Mr. "I don't like Oranges becuz their inferior to Klassics!?" Explain yourself!

Well, I want the Core, Core folks. I'm a Merman and Tri-Klops away from completing the Core Evil Warriors. I haven't gotten an Adam because of the Sky Sled. Hell, I'm not buying Battle Cat out of Principle! I'm so getting She-Ra maybe Ram Man and Man-E-Faces and that's it! OK I may get the Hulk Hogan and Steve Austin Snake Mountain Ring because of Snake Mountain themed ring and Hulk Hogan, Brother!


Good thing you hated Oranges...

Hey! To be fair, I did mention that Vintave Beastman was my favorite Vintage era toy. Since Origins looks "vintage enough" I KINDA HAD to have Beastman. Trap Jaw was an added bonus.

Articulation 
Beastman is similarly articulated to other past figures... despite being "100% new sculpt". Trap Jaw on the other hand is lacking articulation on his mechanical arm.
There was a running change on him that gave him an additional articulation point in the shoulder. I have the one without the extra articulation.
My trap jaw lacks the hinge near the peg
therefore, it has less articulation than Beastman. 


While Beastman gets a 3.5 Trap Jaw is hit with a 3.0 
Beastman: Whip it! Whip it good!
Trap Jaw: No wonder Keldor doesn't call us...
Beastman: Did you just Deadname Skeletor?
Trap Jaw: What are you talking about?
Beastman: Deadnaming, using the former name of a person... before their transition... You should know better, especially after yours. How would you feel if I called you Kronis.
Trap Jaw: Quite fine, since that IS my name.
Beastman: So why does everyone call you Trap Jaw, then?
Trap Jaw: You really are a Hypocrite, Racquill... criticizing me, for not being "woke", yet use an ableist insult towards me... YOU SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER!! 


Paint and sculpt 
Beastman and Trap Jaw both attempt to capture the Vintage Aesthetic. They Kinda do, but the subtle differences between Vintage and Oranges can be jarring to some.
In Trap Jaw's case I dislike the Gambit styled eyes and the lack of eyebrows. I ended up painting eyebrows on mine. For beastman I 4 beastman I prefer the Vintage open mouth over the modern"smiling face" . I'm tempted to paint the bracers on beastman in a dark shade of red to make them noticeable. I'm aware that this isn't vintage inspired,  but He-Man has orange bracers, and I painted MAA's bracers light blue... and I reduced the red in Skeletor's eyeholes. Nothing too realistic like shading or weathering that would look odd in Oranges.
MAA: Trap Jaw, prepare to be No-Ja- Hey!
Trap Jaw: I'm tired of everyone's ableist insults! What's next, are you going to mock the fact that I'm an amputee that also needs leg braces to walk!?
MAA: I'm so sor-
Trap Jaw: Oh, no you won't... You won't get away with a hollow apology! I'm taking away your oversized "back massager", you freaking ableist!!


 personal preferences aside the paint job on the figures is pretty good for the most part. The only real issue I have is the sloppy paint job on Beastman's amulet.
4.5 for Beastman 5.0 for Trap Jaw
He-Man: Yes! I get to beat up a Furry and a
Bluegger!
Beastman: That's racist!
Trap Jaw: We don't want any trouble!
He was using ableist insults and threatened to beat us up with a sex toy!
He-Man: Where are your papers, boy!
Beastman: I am a 100% pure Eternian born and raised in the Vine Jungle surrounding Castle Grayskull!
He-Man: I wasn't talking to you, motheryiffer, Iwas talking to the Bluegger here.
Trap Jaw: Look, man, please stop it with the B-word... it's not cool!
He-Man: What are you going to do about it, boy?
Trap Jaw: Mr, Man, sir. I'm respectfully asking you to stop using that racist term...
He-Man: or what, BOY? I'm feeling generous. If you tell me why Tiger Tommy is my favorite Power Ranger, I won't make you a quadruple amputee?
Trap Jaw: Because he's the White Power R... oh...
He-Man: Get your colored ass out of here before I go Hulk Hogan on you!
Beastman: Racist He-Man is the worst He-Man.


Nefty note: The racist He-Man thing is mocking the weird deconstructions of the brand by "woke" folk or trolls who try to turn childhood properties from the 80s into something far more sinister. Usually these type of posts start from a conclusion and work their way to a hypothesis. It's a bad and immature joke and beaten like a dead horse for the sake of "faux edginess".

Accessories 
Beastman only has his bicep armor and his Beer mug/whip.  This is where slavish Devotion to Vintage bites the line in the ass. Instead of fixing what was broken they doubled down on keeping the broken for the sake of nostalgia.
Trap Jaw comes with his three attachments.
Honestly, there's nothing else I can ask for them.


Trap Jaw being a Wave 2 Figure gets a new mini comic.
Beastman gets a 2.5 Trap Jaw gets a 5.0
Skeletor: MYAAAH! On today's episode we learned that making statements about social justice in man-children's entertainment can be done properly...
Beastman: But, didn't we go way too overboard with the message and lost focus of the plot?
Skeletor: Yes, you fur-brained nincompoop!! If you hadn't interrupted me, I would've mentioned that we went wrong about it by being too preachy and having  Roided out boob acting like a Dhar Mann villain!
Trap Jaw: So you're saying that we should put Plot as the priority and moral lessons on a secondary plane?
Evil Lyn: Oh no, not plot!
Skeletor: Not that Plot Evil Lyn, you naughty wench! I mean STORY!! Like the insane Holiday Special. It had a batshit crazy story, yet I learned to love Christmas!
Beastman: I wonder what happened to Alisha and Miguel...
Skeletor: I killed them. I TOLD THEM I WASN'T NICE!!


Overall
 It saddens me to know that my favorite figure is the inferior figure of the two. On the other hand Trap Jaw, despite the limited articulation issue, is the better of the bunch.
Beastman gets a 3.5 while Trap Jaw gets a 4.33 as his final score.


No comments:

Post a Comment