May 3, 2021

TMNT Ultimates: what could've been

What I wanted vs What I got

 Don't get me wrong: I 95% like the TMNT Ultimates line. The remaining 5% is what bugs me... but let me explain. Ultimates was born out of MOTUC. A line where characters would come from different eras of the brand and they'd be worked into a cohesive style. That way you can have Vintage, POP, New Adventures, 200X, and NU52 without anyone looking "out of place"... characters with multiple similar looms would have elements implemented and reinterpreted on a 80s inspired style.

TMNT Ultimates "theoretically" follows that rule, but the filter is 80s toyline. While in some areas this is a wonderful thing since the 80s sculpts are fantastic in some figures... and others they are Dreadful. And those Dreadful scopes Rmare part of that 5%...

Let's take Leatherhead as an example. The Vintage figure was rather wimpy looking. He also had the weird human teeth and blond eyebrows. The cartoon version on the other hand was this big hulking humanoid alligator Beast. Now imagine an Ultimates Bebop-sized Leatherhead, with a second head without eyebrows and human teeth. A figure that could stand fully erect and look forward like most versions of the character. (Perhaps via a special add-on neckpiece) well, we ain't getting that. We're getting a 7-8 inch copy of the vintage figure with better articulation. 

I don't want "Vintage 2.0" but improving the character so we get the "definitive version". Wait let me amend my statement: I would prefer if they were to go beyond the Vintage figure. Like they did with Bebop who remains very close to Vintage Park has a bit more detail and watch made bigger and bulkier in comparison to his vintage figure.

I honestly don't know how much is Super7's fault vs how much is Playmates and nickelodeon's fault. As much as I loved the vintage toys as a kid, as an adult, I want the toys to "grow up with me" as He-Man, Thundercats, GI Joe, Marvel and DC have. Give me options!! 
Unmaskd Casey, Battle damaged Foot Soldier, Oroku Saki... I want, no, NEED Options!!

April has a ton... ok 3 head options. Bebop and the Turtles do too. Hell, even Krang is giving me options. But not Shredder... fuck that eyebrows head with a rusty spoon.


No comments:

Post a Comment