Feb 12, 2021

Customizing playsets: a rant

 As I wait for Snake freaking Mountain to arrive I'm thinking to myself: I know there are a couple of things that need some sort of "fix" with the playset, based on some reviews. He-Bro has a few things on his Shapeways shop to help with the fixes:

But these are easily fixable things that I can "undo" and have the playset "as it should". I'm talking about "fixes" that may permanently change the Playset... for example:
-Proper bridge with proper height rails. Yes, I'm aware that even now I'm still trying to be able to preserve the original.
-Actual latch to secure the playset in a closed position for transport. It's a bit silly, but at the same time it's sorely needed. As it is, transporting Snake Mountain is a bit of a hassle.
Other things I'm considering is expanding the play area. These would be separate pieces to use with the playset. Mainly to provide support to the thin floors on them (this would apply to Grayskull as well.)

Right now, I have no concrete idea what or how to do these for a couple of reasons. I don't have the playsets with me and I've no materials to experiment with. Not to mention that many of the materials I'm thinking of, cannot be acquired locally. Especially, since I'm trying to avoid wood. I want to make these mostly out of plastic. Resins and epoxies I'm counting as plastic-like materials. I want to keep Metal to a bare minimum (as close to zero as possible) and zero wood. 
I need to learn about resins and epoxies in order to know if I can sculpt out of foam and then cover with epoxy in order to reduce weight compared to a solid plastic piece.I need to outgrow foamboards and Hot glue. More serious diorama building, less Art Attack! 

No comments:

Post a Comment