Dec 22, 2022

Advent Calendar 22: Attention Maggots, this ain't no GI Joe...

 


I had completely forgotten that I had preordered a Valaverse Action Force Sgt. Slaughter. When I got my Pile of Loot in late September (Demona, Spidey and MJ 2pack, and Sarge were among the items in it.)

Action Force was an European Toyline that had Action Man and GI Joe combined. Some time ago, Sarge's likeness was tied to WWE and Hasbro was unable to make him in GI Joe. During that period, Valaverse acquired the Action Force license and somehow managed to get access to the likeness of Robert Rudolph Remus. So I was able to preorder Sarge. Around the time Hasbro announced their offcial Sargeant Slaughter, the Valaverse Sarge hit the Pile of Loot and I didn't notice. So, how do i talk about a non-GI Joe and Non-Wrestling Sgt. Slaughter wothout mentioning Wrestling and GI Joe...

Thank you Super Mario Bros. Super Show!
Now let's tackle the Drill Instructor from Hell, the Terrorist basher and one of the few people who used Kurt Angle's theme before Kurt Angle...
Sarge: Alright maggot, drop and give me 20.


Articulation 
Action Force Figures use articulation similar to Marvel Legends and GI Joe classified series. His joints are super stiff almost to the point I was afraid of breaking him at times. Some Wave1 figures had some breakage issues and to my knowledge Valaverse was replacing the broken figures or sending a repair kit to customers.
Other than that, he is really poseable. The only issue is that his jacket can get in the way of some leg articulation.
5.0

Paint and sculpt
Sarge is a stylized version of Bob Remus. I say this because the toy has a "comic book styled jacked" build than the real life Remus, who has a more barrel chested traditional "strongman" build. My only issie with the sculpt is his chin. While Sarge has a prominent chin, this one is a smidge too big. And I mean Popeye the Sailor big... everything else is fantastic. From the neck down he looks like a 6 inch traditional GI Joe figure unlike the more Fortnite-esque Classified figures from earlier waves. 
4.5
Even Sarge knows the basics of CQC


Accessories
Sgt. Slaughter is loaded with accessories but is lacking accessories. I mean he has 7 extra hands, his hat, his shades, a HUGE revolver, and a badass knife. But he's missing his riding crop. He even has a hole on his back where an accessory not included with the figure can be plugged in.
5.0


Overall
Sarge gets a 4.83 as his final score. It's a decent figure, but the headsculpt ruins it for me. As am alternative to GI Joe, the Action Force figures are pretty sweet. Unfortunately, these aren't for me. I'm a slightly above casual, but lower than hardcore GI Joe collector and the only figure that caught my interest was Sarge... who will soon be replaced by the official GI Joe Sarge.
Maybe if Valaverse gets the Metal Gear License, I would invest on some figs. Action Force has some cool stuff, but I'm not a huge fan of "Soldier toylines" I could see myself getting some accessory packs for Frank Castle but that's about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment