Dec 11, 2022

Advent Calendar 11: Nom Noms for figures!? Super foodie series


H
appycat Industries makes accessories for toys, most of them bloody effects and weapons, but this one is food... As you know, I love to ramble about accessories for the mundane. So, I was obviously drawn towards this set. I already knew what to expect, since I saw the review Shartimus Prime made about this set. I was well aware that they were a bit more on the cartoony side... translation: They can be hit or miss with Marvel Legends, mainly MCU Stuff. Most of NECA's lines, McFarlane, and other very realistic toylines won't work with these due to aesthetic issues. 
Super7 Ultimates may be the perfect line for these... although, I feel some could use a bit more paint to blend a bit better. Also, I kinda wish the beer mug, whiskey bottle and beer bottle had been made with translucent plastic.
Do not eat meat from walls. Especially Hotdogs.
 
The Hotdog is a normal hotdog with Mustard as it should be.
100 points and a full lifebar? Awesome!!
Turkey Leg is a nice tribute to Videogame Wall Meat... or at least that's how I'll be using it.
Girl: Are you going to eat my taco?
Nefty-kun: YES I AM!!
Girl: You know I'm talking about this corn tortilla filled with meat and veggies, right?
Nefty-kun: Of course! It's obvious that we're talking about Mexican Food...

It's a Nice Taco... now I don't have to steal Deadpool's taco...
Nefty-kun: Hey baby, wanna eat my burrito?
Girl: Only if you eat my Chimichanga...
Also, that's not a Burrito...

The Burrito is big, girthy, and wrapped partially in foil to simulate the food truck burrito. Most 1:12 figs can't handle its girth. UPDATE: IT IS NOT A BURRITO it's a shawarma...

The Chimichanga is better for 1:12 hands, but it's not exactly an item that would be held on a figure's hand.

Girl: I swear if you make a Beetlejuice reference, I'll kick you in the dick...
Nefty-kun:Ka lat ka oeput vum ta banana bopa amu...
Girl:Ka pudum dub minionese, to cono
The Banana is just a Banana, Freud...

A Bella Twin holding an apple...
I didn't plan this, but take that Twilight reference.
If I had a Carlito Figure, I could've gone in a different direction.  It's an apple that has a bite on one side.
Girl: I have a bo'oh wo'er...
Nefty-kun: Why are you speaking 'Arry Pottah!?
Girl: You Doughnut! It was either this or...
*theme of a Thor-inspired water fountain who slept its way to the top plays*

The donut is a decent accessory that would go great with a cup of coffee, but there isn't much to write home about. Same thing with the bottled water. While I have plenty of Triple H figures to use, I decided not to because it would have been the obvious joke, especially after the Carlito reference.
Girl: Pizza!? Gimme! I freaking LOVE Pizza!!
Nefty-kun: I actually made it myself! I even used my super secret white sauce to make it...
Girl: On second thought I don't want it anymore...
Nefty-kun: Duuude! I might have the maturity of a 12 year-old boy, but I don't ruin food like that!
Girl: Sorry... I just assumed...
Nefty-kun: You've offended me greatly... 

The slice of pizza isn't as realistic as NECA'S Movie line but it could fit in with the toon line... I may have to repaint it to have it fit better with S7.

Girl: Hey, GameDude! Got you some thin crust pizza! Extra anchovies...
Nefty-kun VO: Real anchovies or euphemisms?

The pizza box is way too thin for most figures, so calling it thin crust is the only viable solution... I really like the box design because it looks generic yet realistic.

Nefty-kun:*soda drinking noises* ugh! *soda  drinking noises* Ah! Good! Now I need to find me some sailors...
Honestly, I wosh the can was bigger and looked more like a generic copy of the main brands. 
Nefty-kun: I scream, you scream, we all scream for Ice Scream... wait... that almost feels like a Todd McFarlane reference.
The ice cream cone is nice. I just wish we had multiples and different flavors... mainly chocolate.

Phone: *ringtone*
Nefty-kun: Ahoy-hoy!
Girl: Please tell me you didn't just use Ahoy-hoy to answer the phone.
Nefty-kun: Yeah... I did, so what's up?
Girl: Well, my Dad is dying to meet you...
Nefty-kun: Don't get me wrong, I love you, but does that mean I have to meet your father?
Girl: Are you quoting Utada?
Nefty-kun: when we're older you'll understand what I meant when I said No, I don't think life's quite that simple.
Girl: You ARE QUOTING SIMPLE AND CLEAN! You'd better hurry up and get here before he sends his purple dragon buddies after you...
Nefty-kun: That's the problem, my Vigilante acts have literally made me Purple Dragon enemy number 6... The Turtles and Hockey Dude are the top 5.

It's a mobile phone. Now Nefty-kun will be able to play Enraged Poultry.
Since TMNTU Nefty-kun is under 21, the next few items will be showcased by Placeholder Arnold Jones Sr. Since Casey lacks an unmasked head, that's why Not Quite Hun is showcasing these.
NQH: Alright, Dragons, let the beer flow and we drink... we'll go from pisswater to the good stuff!
It's a can of beer. I kinda wish the soda can was in a similar size because as you saw above, it's a bit small. I like that from afar it looks kinda like a Heineken.
NQH: Finally! Bringing the bottles and no metallic aftertaste like canned stuff! 

The bottle is a bit more generic looking and like I said earlier a translucent brownish colored plastic to simulate the brown bottle would've been better.

NQH: Now we tap the kegs, boys!
Let's drain these kegs!

The mug is OK, but it could've been better. Again, clear plastic for the mug and translucent yellow for the beer would've been much better. 

NQH: Ahh, my Sriracha/Whiskey Bomb! Bottoms up!
Again, the Whiskey should've been more amber and less carrot in color. I guess checking arts and crafts stores might yield better results for the alcohol.

Now, I got to say that for its price it's reasonable... as long as you can get it for under $20. 
I wish there were other versions with other food items like say:
Burger, burrito, Ice cream sundae, sushi, chinese takeout bowl, croissant, pie slice, empanada, bowl of ramen, TV Dinner, cucumber, watermelon (wedge or the whole thing), bucket of chicken, soda bottles (personal sized and 2 liter bottles), bowl of cereal, milk, bag of chips... just to name a few. As you have seen with past posts, I'm a huge fan of props for action figures... it may be the theater kid in me or something else entirely, but I love using props for the displays.

Update 
The beer mug  got scratched after a shelf diving incident and paint chipped off. It's white underneath. Had to repaint the entire thing. Also, using crazy glue as a clear sealant is a no-no, since it ate the OG paint.

Bonus item to review


These are Dollar store small storage containers that kinda look like Action Figure Sized Storage bins. These aren't toys, but can function as accessories to toys. These are clear, but you could paint them if you want solid colored bins.
What else can I say about them? They work and they're cheap. You can see that they can hold stuff... all the nom noms are in there. 
I'VE been a proponent of looking outaide traditional premade toys for accessories and these like the baking supplies have been an out of the box option.  I just like having ways to liven up the displays because I hate the boring A-Pose displays where all figures are standing with their arms on their sides in non-dynamic poses. Using props, backdrops and other items, I can make displays feel cooler.

No comments:

Post a Comment