Dec 3, 2022

Advent Calendar 03: Weird Doctor, Strange Magician

 

While I got this figure way back. He was bought for the 2021 Advent Calendar with the intention of making No Way Home References.
This is a Classic Stephen Strange, which most definitely replaces the ToyBiz figure, which was good, but looks bad 13-ish years later...

Stephen Strange. SURGEON, gets hands messed up in accident and travels to the Orient in search of a Mystic Cure. In Tibet he meets the former Sorcerer Supreme, an Asian Man known as The Ancient One, who trains Strange in the Mystic Arts... you get the rest of it. 
Strange: Ommmmmm! Spider-Man is not going to ruin my day!! Ommmmmm!
Scarlet: Yeah, about that Doc!


Articulation
Aside the arms, he has standard Articulation that you'd expect from Marvel Legends. The legs are slightly hindered by the tunic, but you can kinda pull off a Lotus pose. The arms are closer to Female Figures in articulation,  but the elbows bend more than 90° which gives him a range similar to double joint elbows... despite of his poofy sleeved tunic. The cape IS a bit meddlesome and non- removable... so you can't... by you I mean I, can't make What If? Zombie Hunter Spider-Man references.
4.0
Strange: By the BDSM bands of Cytorrak!!
What are you doing here, Spider-Oh... it's you!
Scarlet: Yeah, Doc... I kinda need your help!
Strange: Why do I always get the annoying Spider-folks?
Scarlet: Are you going to help me, or do I need to go to Sigfried and Roy?
Strange: Did you just call my Magic a Vegas act?
Scarlet: Not gonna comment on both of them being dead?
Strange: The X-Men know how to time travel. Doctor Doom has a time platform. Wouldn't be surprised if Reed Richards has a time machine as well...


Paint and sculpt 
I believe only the legs and hands are the only reused parts. Everything else seems to be brand new for the doctor. I was lucky enough to get a figure with no visible paint bleed, which is a plus for a figure that I bought online. He resembles the Silver age Doctor Strange. The standard head is a great rendition of the character, but to be honest, the meditating head is my favorite one. It doesn't have the Silver Age hairstyle, but it suits him. The Defenders head is a nice extra bit feels out of place.
5.0
Strange: Why has the wand of Watoomb appeared before us?
Scarlet: That wakkatombraider stick has been appearing in my dreams lately!
Strange: it's the Wand of Watoomb. Treat it with the respect it deserves!
Scarlet: Yeah, sure, why not? In any case your Magic wand keeps popping up ub ny head when I fall asleep!
Strange: It could be the work of Nightmare!!


Accessories
2 extra hands (fist and gripping)
2 extra heads (Meditation and defenders
2 tired and overused energy effect
Wand of Watoomb
Axe of Angarruumus

That's 8 accessories for a non-deluxe figure and that's not something normal for Marvel Legends.
5.0
Scarlet: Holy Ass crackers! It's Doctor Doom AND a reverse... colors... Spider-Man??
Strange: Axe of Angarruumus! To me!!
DOOM: GREETINGS STEPHEN STRANGE! DOOM COMES IN PEACE!!
Scarlet: Yeah right! Wait... is Doc Strange going to go Conan on Doom!
Strange: What brings you to the Sanctum Sanctorus, Von Doom?
DOOM: AN INTERDIMENSIONAL MAGICAL CREATURE THREATENS THE EARTH. IT CAN ONLY BE DETECTED BY SPIDER-MAN'S SPIDER SENSE AND I MAY REQUIRE ASSISTANCE IN SEALING THIS CREATURE BACK IN ITS OWN NETHERREALM!
Scarlet: Holy Hangover! My Spider sense is going crazy!!


Overall
Strange gets a 4.67 as his final score. The slight issues in Articulation are what hurt his almost perfect score. As much as I hate cloth capes, a wored cloth cape would have been perfect for him.
Strange: I can sense the creature.
Web-Man: IT HURTSS!!
Scarlet: Bizarro is right! Or wrong... I don't do Bizarro-speak... that's a Douche Canoe thing.
DOOM: QUIT DILLY-DALLYING!!

Also some new and different energy effects would be nice!
Strange: And that's how you and your various clones end up ruining my day in fourteen million, six hundred and five realities. So, would you kindly fuck off, Spider-Man?
Spidey: How RUDE!!
Strange: Do not Quote Full House on me...


No comments:

Post a Comment