Dec 20, 2023

Advent Calendar 20: Wanna get nuts?


L
et's get nuts! If you don't know this is a reference to Tim Burton's 1989 masterpiece: Batman. Now this review is for the 1989 Batman as he was seen in 2023s the Flash. The reason he is on the Advent calendar and not reviewed close to the Flash's release is because Batman Returns is kind of a Christmas movie. It makes sense to have the Michael Keaton Batman being reviewed close to Christmas.
Batman: Wanna get Nuts?
Batman: Let's get Nuts!
Nefty-kun VO: and then both Batmen went to the nearest warm Nuts vendor and bought a bag of nuts each... and yes, they used the Bat-Credit card to pay for them.


I already reviewed the Mattel version of 1989 Batman. I never found a NECA version, so McFarlane is my last hope for a decent 1989 Batman... am I right on this assertion or am I wrong? Let's find out!

Articulation:
Holy excessive articulation for a 1989 Batman! The 1989 Batman could barely move in that outfit and had to do weird full body turns. 

This figure has WAY too much articulation that the actual Batman couldn't use. For that, I am glad. He has the standard McFarlane articulation. The shoulderpads block some articulation and the cloth cape doesn't get in the way. Part of me wishes it had wires... yes it's a nod to Batman Returns, but it would allow for some gliding, falling poses. I know the reason for the non-wired cape is for the Batmobile. I'm still salty about missing out on it.
4.5


Paint and Sculpt:
As always, the face is the least accurate part of the sculpt, but that's a McFarlane thing. Everything else looks awesome. I kinda dislike that the yellow belt was unused in The Flash, because the belt not being yellow bugs me too much.
4.5


Accessories:
The useless card and a useful stand from every figure, that I rarely mention because blegh!


This Batman has 2 alternate fists and his grappling gun and Batarang in silver for some reason.
4.5
Alfred: Here's your Diet Soda and glass, Master Bruce.
Batman: That isn't Diet Coke, Alfred. I hope you didn't drink my last Diet Coke, because I rubbed the rim with tissue samples with McGregor's disease...
Nefty-kun VO: Coke is not a sponsor of the House of Rants, Batman so you get Generic diet soda!


Overall
Batman gets a 4.5 as his final score. It's decent, but it could've been a smidge better. My issue right now is: Which one is my DEFINITIVE Batman? Arkham Knight's armored Batman or 1989 Batman...
Batman: I'm Batman!
Batman: I am Vengeance, I am the night! I AM BATMAN!
Nefty-kun VO: Will the real Batman please stand up?






No comments:

Post a Comment