Dec 18, 2023

Advent Calendar 18: Fucking Tommy


 I may have ordered Bulk and Skull first but ended up with Fucking Tommy Oliver at my doorstep. I have an Ultimates! Green Ranger by Super 7 now that's three fucking Tommys in one advent calendar!

R.I.P. Jason David Frank. I swear I think I've reviewed tell me Oliver six or seven times already! Do I need to explain that he was the sixth Power Ranger who was originally a servant of Rita Repulsa but then became good? I hope not cuz I don't think I'm going to do it again.
He can almost do it.


I'm not entirely sure but this first wave of Power Rangers figures had some quality control issues. I recall reading some people having trouble using the vac Metalized Dragon shield. I recall some issues with the interchangeable arms. Yes I am having Vietnam flashbacks with Steelwill. Well I'm going to add one to the list! The sheet where you put the dragon dagger is made out of hard plastic for some reason and if you're not careful it can break Mine cracked coming out of the package.
Can't start a review without issues!?

Articulation
For a Super7 figure, he's super articulated.
 Well yes he only has single joint on the knees and elbows, he has a hinged neck a pseudo ball joint in the waist and ab crunch. The funny thing is that the ab crunch on its own has very little range. It requires the pseudo ball joint to look like he has a decent range. The articulation of the left leg at the hip is very limited due to the hard plastic of his dagger sheath.
4.0
He can't do this.


Paint and sculpt
He looks decent. It's kind of hard to screw up the Power Rangers sculpt. Super7 managed to do just fine. While Hasbro has more realistic sculpts, Super7's seem more stylized... almost cartoony. 
Jason just stole Tommy's Grandma's COVID-19
Relief money.

This is better for me because I can cross pollinate toy lines. I can have Nick meet up with Jason David Frank, something that I could never do, because the times he came to Puerto Rico I was unable to go to the convention. And now, well my mom has more chances of meeting him than I do.
4.5


Accessories:
Tommy has like 10 hands
2 extra arms
2 extra heads
Alternate Dragon Shield
2 Dragon Dagger
Bandai styled blaster
Mega heater
Sword of Power
Sword of Darkness


He's got plenty of things, too bad they don't all work as they should. He can't truly hold most of his weapons. When he does dated to fall off his hands either due to weird grip or weight.


This shouldn't be happening on a $55+ figure.
4.0
You are tearing me apart Lisa!!
Sorry, wrong Tommy.


Overall:
You're hurting me Flynn.  It's not a bad figure but the limitations of the ultimate Style hurt him a lot. Power Rangers require far more articulation than ultimates can deliver. Accessories aren't that bad except the whole inability to properly grab them. I honestly don't see myself diving too deep with this line. I'm getting Bulk and Skull because they're not going to be Bulk and Skull. And this Tommy Oliver is not going to be the real Tommy Oliver but a hallucination by Nick.
Nick: Holy shit! It's Tommy!
JDF: I'm Jason...
Nick: No, you're Tommy. Jason is the one who stole COVID money. You're the one that challenged CM Punk to a fight.
JDF: I'm dead, you're speaking to no one...
Nick: Dide, I have conversations woth my dead Mom... don't ruin this for me.or I'll "sick sick! hyah! Your.mighty morphin' butthole.
4.17 is his final score. It should've been higher.

No comments:

Post a Comment