Dec 25, 2023

Merry Christmas from the House of Rants: I saw Gran Turismo.

 First, let me take care of the obvious... To my 10-19 readers left on Earth:

And to my most favorite reader of all, Scott Toyguru Neitlich:

Now that I finished reference to my not so forgotten feud that is no longer relevant, we can begin with my thoughts on the Gran Turismo movie.

First a bit of background between Gran Turismo and me: 

I wasn't  a hard-core fan of the series. I mostly played GT1 and 2 with my younger brother. God bless the GameShark. I wasn't too into it as my brother was. He ended up studying to become a mechanic. Gran Turismo was partly to blame. I don't remember much about the game. All i know is that when I heard the intro to Gran Turismo 2 in Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City, I Yelled Gran Turismo song! at the theater.

I got fond memories of that time. My kid brother was a kid. I was a naive high school student. 28.8kbs internet was the rage. 56kbs was mindblowing. Most importantly Mom was alive... sure in hindsight, the demon that killed her was festering unnoticed then, but she was alive. 

I won't bore you with a play by play because the movie itself bored me to tears. It's a feel good underdog movie... like Karate Kid, Cool Runnings, that Tom Cruise movie where he's a race car driver... I'm going to say it: The movie is too fucking long. You could trim 30 minutes and make it more palatable.  

It's not bad, just not mindblowing. It's somewhat enjoyable, but other movies have told similar stories and made them better. Glad I caught it on Netflix and not paid to see it in theaters. Much better than Rebel Moon though.

No comments:

Post a Comment