Aug 27, 2021

It came from the toy chest: I'm going to mngle you green slimballs


A
TMNT TiT reference from the SNES game. Stage 2 Alleycat Blues boss, Metalhead. Robotic Turtle. Originally made by Krang as the ultimate Anti-Turtle Weapon with an amalgamation of the 4 turtles' brainwave patterns. IIRC there's a bit of April and Shredder in it as well. Thing is that Metalhead originally was built as an enemy, but Donatello (who does machines) hacked Metalhead and turned it into The Maid... (insert Arnold joke here) 
Nefty: Is it safe to let Mikey mess with Metalhead? We can wait for Donatello.
Raph: He comes in December. Can you wait that long?
Nefty: Dude, it took me 6 crushes dating 13 girls including a vegan just to get over my second grade crush... 
Raph: You really need to learn to let things go and move on...
Nefty: Everyone says the same thing...
Leo: BROTHERS!!! And Nefty...
Raph: This is not the time for making Cam Clarke references... Mikey is activating Metal...
Nefty: GEAR!?
Raph: Why did you do that?
Mikey: I'm turning on the robot, no homo.
Leo: You could've said I'm turning the robot on...
Raph: It still sounds gay.
Nefty: ix nay on the aygay okesjay...


Like its NECA Counterpart, this Metalhead is heavily influenced by the toon, but unlike NECA, this one is heavily influenced by rhe vintage toy on the design.
Leo: Weapons ready, guys...
Mike: You guys REALLY don't trust me?
Nefty: Do we have to answer that?
Raph: Seems like the common consensus is No.
M-Head: Interlocks activated. Dynotherms connected. Megathrusters are go!


Personal story time... as a child of divorced parents, my old man had visitation weekends and stuff. He usually ended bribing me with $4.99 items made by Playmates toys. For some reason or other we ended up at a Toys R Us where there was supposed to be an event with costumed characters. I missed out on the event for some reason or other. I was SUPER pissed off.  I remember a lot of sulking and brooding, not to mention saying that the situation was bullshit. My consolation prize was Metalhead. 
M-Head: Activating Combat Mode!!
Everyone else: Crap!


The first few weeks, I HATED Metalhead because he was a reminder of how much that day sucked... little did I know that far worse days lied ahead...  but shiny, glowy eyes and brain slowly suckered me in.
M-Head: Fellow Chucker program is go!
Mikey: Holy asscrackers! It worked!
Everyone else: What do you mean It worked!?
Mikey: Well, I kinda did some tinkering on his code.




Articulation 
Aside the lower legs (due to a sculpted wire on a non-moving part that's  attached to a moving part.) With the figure being top heavy, you need to adjust the legs and the wire might snap from harsh articulation usage... kinda like it happened to LJN's Hammerhand figures from Thundercats. He's also VERY LOOSE at the hips.
3.5
April: Hey guys! Uh, what's with the Robo Turtle?
M-Head: Chikan Mode Activated!!
Nefty: Wait... I've heard that term before...
Raph: A man of culture, I see...
April: Chicken mode? What's that?
Leo: Chikan... basically, the Robot is going to molest you...
April: Guys, do something!



Paint and sculpt
We were NEVER going to get vac Metal... thank goodness. The gold is rather shiny from certain angles. Thenonly real issues I have with the sculpt are the wires mentioned in articulation and the hand pegs being so thin that I'm afraid to use the robo nunchuck accessory since he has an issue standing while wearing his heavy backpack. The light piping works, but I couldn't catch it on camera.
4.0


Accessories 
Here is where Metalhead fails
5 extra hands
Extra head
Backpack
Sat-dish
2 robo nunchucks 
2 grenades... (not featured on review because I'm prone to lose them to a crafty feline.)
Vintage rack.
Possible problematic issue...


It sounds like he has a lot but at the same time he doesn't. The way Super7 had the hands engineered, they couldn't give us the "rocket punches" from the arcade game and cartoon. 

Also, the robo nunchucks are wrong since thwy should pop at the elbow.

Not at the wrist... but mutagen man doesn't hold ooze...
4.0
April: That's for letting the robot incredibly close to raping me!
Nefty: Oww! Why are you hitting me, if it was Mikey who programmed him!?
April: Because the Turtles are my friends and you're a pervert!
Nefty: Can I at least do something perverted to actually EARN the slap!?


Overall
Metalhead gets a 3.83 as his final score. They got so many things right yet so many things wrong. 
I don't HATE him, but I'm disappointed. I knew he wasn't gonna have a ton of stuff but he feels more barren than Rocksteady and Bebop.

No comments:

Post a Comment